Honors ProgramHonor Societies
Alpha Gamma Sigma (AGS)
Α – Alpha is “Arête” meaning Excellence
Γ – Gamma is “Gnosis” meaning Knowledge
Σ – Sigma is “Sophrosyne” meaning Wisdom
Thus, our motto: “Add to good character, knowledge, and judgment.”
Our mission is to promote, maintain, and recognize student achievement, offer programs that provide educational, cultural, and social enrichment for members and campus, and to volunteer services to the campus and community.
Students who have completed 12-semester units and are currently taking 3 units or more and have a cumulative GPA of 3.0
Freshmen who have a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.50 and are members of the California Scholarship Federation (CSF).
- Have your academic excellence recognized at graduation: graduation stoles and preferred seating in the front rows.
- Give back to your college and community
- Gain valuable service and leadership skills
- Be eligible to compete for academic and service scholarships
- End of the year banquet
- Through your membership, colleges see your interests beyond academics
AGS is a statewide honor society. Fullerton College’s chapter (Epsilon) is the founding chapter since AGS was founded by a former president of Fullerton College, William T. Boyce. The library at Fullerton College is named in Dr. Boyce’s honor.
After you apply to be a member of AGS, you must complete a total of 20 hours of community service per semester:
- 10 hours doing events organized by AGS (e.g. campus events, weekend activities, etc.)
- 10 hours for events and services coordinated by other organizations (like volunteering at your community center, church, etc.)
Completing your hours is required to be in good standing, which makes you eligible for our scholarships, transcript notation, and perks during Commencement (graduation). The spring semester is also the perfect time to join since it looks really good on your academic resume as you get ready to apply for scholarships, graduation, and transfer.
It’s only $30 for the initial membership to join AGS and $15 for each semester thereafter. These funds are used for our scholarships, conferences, and supplies.
We meet every other Tuesday in Room 736 from 1:15 – 2:15 pm. The next meeting is on February 18. Our meetings are not mandatory for members. We know that most of our students work and attend classes full time. But these meet-ups are a good place to network with the other members of AGS and get firsthand information about our upcoming projects.
You can find our application and our FAQs are online on our website.
Get to know us more at:
Ask us anything: email@example.com
Phi Theta Kappa (PTK)
Phi Theta Kappa is the International Honor Society of the Two-Year College. “The purpose of Phi Theta Kappa shall be to recognize and encourage scholarship among two-year college students. To achieve this purpose, Phi Theta Kappa shall provide opportunities for the development of leadership and service, for an intellectual climate for exchange of ideas and ideals, for lively fellowship for scholars, and for stimulation of interest in continuing academic excellence.”
Fullerton College’s chapter is called Beta Kappa Tau, and you may read our By-laws here.
In order to be eligible for this club, you must have completed 12 units at Fullerton College, be currently enrolled in 3 units, have a cumulative 3.25 or higher grade point average.
Lifetime Membership Dues: $85 first year; $15 chapter dues every semester after until transfer/graduation.
Email us at PTK@fullcoll.edu if you have questions.
How To Join
If you meet the eligibility requirements above, you’ll receive an invitation from PTK International to join. The information below describes this process:
- At the beginning of each semester, eligible students will receive an invitation both from Fullerton College’s chapter (Beta Kappa Tau) and you’ll receive an email invitation (and later a postal invitation) that contains a “passcode.”
- Go here and enter your enrollment passcode.
- Follow the instructions on the website and submit a payment with a credit or debit card.
Every other Wednesday from 2:30 – 4 p.m. in room 734.
***Fullerton College policy is that club members should attend a minimum of one meeting per month and at least two events per semester. Consult our calendar for upcoming meetings and events. Get involved!
Click to find more information about the scholarship information and the PTK All-USA Academic Team.